What is John Hanly Tweed?
John Hanly is one of the oldest weavers in Ireland. It was founded by Denis Hanly and his son Ballyartella, on the banks of the river Nenagh in the county of Tipperary.
The peasants of the surrounding area brought the Hanlys the wool of their sheep, which was then spun, woven and washed in the soft water of the river. 1952 destroyed a fire four of the 6th floor of the factory. After that, the Hanlys decided to concentrate exclusively on weaving fabrics.
Today, Brian Hanly runs the weaving industry in the fourth generation and produces Tweed, inspired by the beautiful landscape of southern Munster County. This is characterized in the extreme south, between Kildare and Killarney, by the Gulf Stream with an almost tropical vegetation.
Further north you will find the endless beaches of Dingle Bay and the river and lake landscape along the Shannon and its mouth near Limerick.
John Hanly uses only natural fibres. Wool and cashmere are purchased only by sustainable suppliers. As more than a hundred years ago, the water of the river Nenagh drives the turbine, which thus supplies the entire power of the factory in a sustainable way.